10/12/2011

5 Things I Have Learned Living in Costa Rica

I anticipated change in my life  when we were preparing to move to Costa Rica but, I never anticipated change on the magnitude it has occurred in me.  I thought it would be fun to share with you 5 big things I've learned this year in Costa Rica (it's hard to choose only 5).

1.  To depend fully on God as my best friend and comforter.  I have been so blessed throughout the years to have friends that are literally closer than family.  They have always been there for me to laugh with, to cry with, and for advice.  I know they are still here for me but it is different when you are so far away.  I found that many times I reached out to friends when really I should have been reaching out to God.

2.  How to cook.  Anyone who knows me knows that I am famous for takeout, baked rotisserie chicken, or anything else that doesn't require effort.  Costa Rica's prices are double that in the US and that really cramped my style when it came to quick easy meals.  I have learned to cook, I mean really cook - from scratch.  It's a miracle, I know.  I'm still praising God for it.

3.  Family time is so valuable.  The sun goes down here at 5pm.  We don't normally go places after dark because our method of transportation is as my grandma says "Pat and Charlie" and it's not recommended to walk in the dark here in the city.  This has given us many nights to talk.  I love our nights.  Our children are growing up so quickly and I really value this special time we have together.

4.  Spanish.  I love the language and yeah, that's what we came here for so it had to make the list.

5.  To have patience.  No matter how many times you raise your voice, emphasize your words, or throw a hissy-fit it will not change the outcome of the matter in Latin America.  You may find something at the grocery today that will not be at the grocery for another 6 months.  Deal with it.  It's part of life.  People are late a lot.  It can be complicated to walk or take a bus, hence tardiness as the norm.

1 comment:

  1. First of all: LOVE the pretty blog!!

    ok, now about these things you've been learning... I think I'm cool with all but that last one... Patience is not an easy thing sister! Well, it should be for people needing it with me, right?! But when I'm the one waiting around it seems soo soo hard! LOL

    We are praying with & for you guys! Thanks for keeping us updated! Tons of love!!! -Joy

    ReplyDelete